Independent schools are private, pre-collegiate schools with their own unique missions; institutions that, though private, are publicly accountable to parents, the wider community, and accrediting associations.
Research suggests that independent schools:
- Are close-knit communities
- Provide individualized attention for students and smaller classes
- Are staffed with high-quality and committed teachers
- Offer hands-on learning opportunities
- Provide educational experiences extending beyond the classroom
- Are full of actively engaged parents
- Are supportive learning environments
More than 2,000 NAIS schools across the United States provide high-quality education to more than 700,000 students from pre-K through high school. In North Carolina, approximately 40,000 students attend an NCAIS school. Learn more about independent schools from these organizations by clicking below.