Building for the Future
The most recent Strategic Plan, approved by the Board of Trustees in April, 2015, called for an expansion from one to two sections of each Lower School class, to take place incrementally over several years, and a new facility to accommodate this growth. TDS has contracted with Brockwell Associates and CT Wilson to construct a new 12,000 square foot academic building, to include seven classrooms, administrative offices, teacher workspace, and a library/learning commons. Coinciding with this construction on Myers Field, the front drive will be extended to help with carpool.
The benefits of this new building will reach all students at TDS:
- New larger classrooms for our youngest students (TK, K) will allow for more activity and exploration.
- A new art studio (used by all ten grades) and Lower School science lab will support the arts and STEM.
- A new computer lab and maker space will facilitate the teaching of 21st century skills.
- A new Learning Commons will be large enough to house our new Lower School.
- With a Middle School expansion into the current Commons, our oldest students will enjoy their own library, lounge, and dedicated multi-purpose space.
- With a reorganized Lower School, first and second grades will move into larger classrooms, and our upper elementary grades (3 – 5) will expand to take full ownership of the back building.
The Building for the Future Campaign is a fundraising effort to support this new construction. With 100% participation by the Board of Trustees and several leadership gifts/pledges in hand, the Campaign is off to a good start toward our goal of $750,000. All donations are appreciated and will be recognized. Naming opportunities exist for leadership gifts ($10,000 and above over five years). Additionally, a $500 contribution will be recognized with an engraved brick, to become part of the sidewalk in front of the new building.