to Fourth Grade!
- Tuesday (11/14) – Last call for November Scholastic book orders! If you are ordering anything as a holiday gift, please let me know, so I can deliver it to you directly.
- Wednesday (11/15) – Don’t miss PA Guest Speaker, Mitch Prinstein’s talk. You can order his book Popular (Prinstein flyer) in the front office.
- Thursday (11/16) – Latin Potluck Lunch for Puerto Rico – $5.00 a plate, parents welcome
- Friday (11/17) – Math Ch. 3B test (division only), School Assembly
- If you missed the chance to order a signed book from our visiting author Jonathan Miller, you have another opportunity! To order, please return this form (Sammy Books Order Form) by Tuesday, November 21
Fourth Grade Update – Week of November 13, 2017
- Topics for the Week:
Reading – Risk Takers project, Storyworks magazine
Writing – Harris Burdick stories
Vocabulary/Spelling – Wordly Wise lesson 7, spelling: Greek roots (part 2)
Math – long division, real-world problems
Science – What are weathering and erosion?
Social Studies – NC regions, salt dough maps
- Important Dates:
11/13 (M) – Author/Illustrator Visit: Jonathan Miller
11/14 (T) – Book Orders due, 3:15-4:00 PM – Help Session
11/15 (W) – Spelling test, 7:00 PM – PA Speaker: Mitch Prinstein
11/16 (Th) – 12:00-1:15 PM – Latin Potluck (Parents welcome! $5)
11/17 (F) – Math Ch. 3B test (division only), 2:10 PM – School Assembly (Talented Tornadoes: Taylor, Nayan, and Madeline)
11/19 (Sun.) – 5:15 PM – Messiah Sing-Along at Duke Chapel
11/20 (M) – Risk Takers projects due (details on website)
11/21 (T) – Grandparents and Special Friends Day, 10:45 AM – performance, 12:00 noon – early dismissal
11/22-11/24 (W-F) – No School: Thanksgiving Break
11/28 (T) – 3:15-4:00 PM – Help Session
11/29 (W) – Wordly Wise test 7
- Author/Illustrator Visit – We enjoyed learning about Mr. Miller’s artwork and his research during our author visit on Monday. Because so many students expressed an interest in ordering signed books, we have decided to take a second batch of orders, using the attached form. Orders are due by Tuesday (11/21), and book will arrive before Winter Break.
- Mark Your Calendar! – PA Guest Speaker – On Wednesday evening at 7:00 PM, the Parents Association guest speaker, Mitch Prinstein. Prinstein will discuss his book Popular, which focuses on the ways that popularity affects successes, relationships, and happiness. You won’t want to miss it!
- A Message from Sr. Straus: Latin Potluck – On Thursday (11/16), TDS will have a Latin Food Potluck for Puerto Rico during lunchtime between 12:00-1:15. As you all know, Hurricane Maria left Puerto Rico without power, and many places still do not have adequate drinking water. Federal aid has been slow to provide supplies for villages farther away from the capital of San Juan. One of these villages is Añasco on the western side of the island. This village is home to relatives of the Pabon-Ramos family, whose two boys (Landon and Evan) attend TDS. We will donate all of the proceeds from this event to support this community. If you would like more information, please visit this website.
- Lunch Details – All children will have the option of dining at the Potluck for lunch. The cost is $5. If your child would like to participate, please send him/her with $5 on that day; no need to pack a lunch! (You might want to cancel your lunch order that day, if applicable.) Parents are welcome to join their children for the Potluck.
- Raffle – In addition, we will have a special raffle to win a night out for you and another TDS family to take a free Salsa or Bachata class while Mr. Straus takes care of your children! Raffle tickets will be sold for $10.
- Math Test – I have decided to schedule our division test for Friday (11/17). While this is slight sooner than I would prefer, I think it will be beneficial to wrap up this chapter before the Thanksgiving Break. Optional practice tests will be distributed on Wednesday. I will offer an extra help review session on Friday morning from 8:00-8:30 AM in our classroom.
- A Message from Dr. Nelson: Lab Animals – The LS lab animals are looking for homes for the holidays. If you could provide care to the gerbils, dwarf hamster, or fire-belly toads, please contact Dr. Nelson (firstname.lastname@example.org). She will provide you with instructions and everything you need to keep the animals happy and healthy! We are interested in homes for Thanksgiving as well as the winter holidays.
- Messiah Sing-Along – Duke Chapel is reviving a favorite tradition of a community sing-along of Handel’s Messiah at 5:15 PM on Sunday, November 19. This is a fun, less formal way to introduce children to one of the great works of music. We will sing many of the favorite choruses, including “Hallelujah.” You can stay as long as your time will allow, and admission is free. Come and join in or just listen!
- Grandparents Day Dismissal – Although dismissal is officially at 12:00 noon, students are welcome to leave at the end of the performance on Tuesday. If your fourth grader will be leaving school with his/her guest, please let me know.
- A Message from Mrs. Bassler: Grandparents Day – The students are eagerly working on their program for Grandparents Day and excited to share it with our TDS community next Tuesday, November 21stat 10:45am in the gym. All students should be dressed nicely for our program: please no t-shirts with graphics or logos, sportswear, or sweatshirts/sweatpants. Tennis shoes are acceptable. Please have your child dressed in dark, fall clothing: browns, reds, navy, dark green, black, etc. Please avoid any white clothing! Plain t-shirts, polos, or button-down shirts would be appropriate as are jeans, khakis, or pants without holes. Dresses that fall below or at the knee, as well as cover the shoulder or have a sweater or top that covers the shoulders, are also acceptable. Due to our shortened schedule that day, please send your child to school with their performance clothing on. Lower School Chorus members in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade will follow the same dress expectations for the program. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Bassler.
- Nutcracker Tickets – Last week several of the Barriskill dancers came to TDS to do a preview for their Nutcracker performance. TDS has reserved a block of tickets for the matinee performance at 11:00am on Saturday, December 16th. Tickets are $30 for adults and $15 for children. For anyone interested, tickets are now on sale at the Duke University Box Office through November 20th. Tell them you are with TDS!