to Fourth Grade at TDS!
Old Salem Trip on Tuesday (4/18)
* Arrive between 7:45 and 7:55 AM, leaving at 8:00 AM
* Bring: lunch and snack. money for gift shop and bakery (optional), book for car ride
* No electronics, please. We’ll take plenty of pictures and share them!
Fourth Grade Update – Week of April 17, 2017
- Topics for the Week:
Reading – Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech, Kate DiCamillo lit circles
Writing – poetry, Studentreasures
Vocabulary/Spelling – WW test 16, spelling: antonyms
Math – adding and subtracting decimals
Science – What is magnetism?, How are electricity and magnetism transformed?, Earth Day
Social Studies – Old Salem
- Important Dates:
4/18 (T) – Old Salem field trip (departing at 8:00 AM), No Help Session
4/19 (W) – Wordly Wise test 16, Studentreasures books due, Art Fair & Music Informances
4/21 (F) – Spelling test, 2:15 PM – Assembly: Rhythm & Blue! (Talented Tornadoes: Caitlyn & Wil)
4/22 (Sat.) – 4:00-8:00 PM – TDS 25th Anniversary Party
4/24 (M) – 3:15-4:00 PM – Help Session
4/27 (Th) – Math Ch. 8 test (tentative date)
4/28 (F) – Spelling test, Jump Rope for Heart
- Battle of the Books – The Battle of the Books competition will be here before you know it!
- Studentreasures – The Studentreasures books are nearly finished! Here are the remaining details you may need:
- The final task is to add the illustrations. Hopefully, this will be an enjoyable process for the students. Illustrations should be colorful and make use of the entire page. The Studentreasures publishing company recommends using washable markers, but we have had good results with regular markers too. In either case, students should allow the pictures to dry, so they do not smear.
- The About the Author page may be handwritten or typed and printed at home. This is a great spot to include a picture of your fourth grader. You can print it directly on the page.
- I have a moderate number of replacement pages, in case one is damaged. You can also print out replacement pages from the Studentreasures
- All finished books are due next Wednesday (4/19). Every student will receive a soft-cover book for free. In the 4/7 Friday folder, I sent home an order form for additional books. There is no pressure to purchase anything, but I do ask that you return the form (marked “no” if not ordering) directly. The finished books should arrive by mid-to-late May.
- NC Science Festival – Our budding fourth grade scientists might enjoy the NC Science Festival which is being held in a variety of locations throughout the Triangle until April 23. From star parties to tower challenges to kitchen chemistry, there’s something for everyone!